This recipe for Vegan Roasted Mushroom Soup tastes so rich and velvety, every single time I make it I think I’ve mistakenly added cream or butter! The creamy illusion comes from a few sources working together to create a silky texture when pureed: the olive oil used for roasting the vegetables, a bit of rice cooked in the soup, plenty of onions, and an abundance of mushrooms.
Other notes about this recipe:
- Store bought vegetable broths tend to be weak and odd tasting and I don’t use them. The secret to creating a rich earthy mushroom flavor comes from first making a roasted mushroom broth as the soup base. The resulting soup is hearty and satisfying without the crutch of more traditional ingredients like chicken stock, butter, cream or cheese.
- Roasting the vegetables for both the broth and the soup intensifies the mushroom’s taste and mellows out the onion, leek and garlic.
- The rice is added raw to cook in the simmering soup. It absorbs some of the broth flavors and thickens the soup a bit when pureed.
- Equal parts white button, crimini and shitake mushrooms are used in this soup although any combination of mushroom, including just button mushrooms, will result in a flavorful soup.
- Chicken stock can be substituted for water in the broth for another layer of flavor if the soup does not need to be vegan or vegetarian. Chicken stock can be a distraction from the mushroom essence of the soup and I don’t use it in this recipe for flavor, not dietary reasons.
- The parsley and lemon added at the end of cooking the soup imparts the fresh brightness needed to counteract the woodsy roasted vegetable and mushroom heartiness.
- A couple tablespoons of butter or grated parmesan cheese will give a pop of texture and flavor if the soup does not need to be vegan or dairy free. I am not vegan and often swirl in just a little bit of butter at the same time I add the lemon juice and parsley.
- Vegan Roasted Mushroom Soup is a dream recipe for anyone on a special diet; it’s vegan, vegetarian, dairy free, nut free and gluten free and is only 5 Weight Watchers points per serving (mainly from the olive oil used for roasting the vegetables and mushrooms).
In my Grilled Fresh Tomato Soup post, I mentioned my sweetie of 26 years is also a big fan of Warhol’s favorite brand of soup. I actually remember being horrified the first time my husband heated up a can of cream of mushroom soup to eat. Bad enough but understandable in a vintage casserole recipe, but for lunch? I’m sharing this anecdote because he inhales my Vegan Roasted Mushroom Soup whenever I offer it to him. I also make sure not to tell him it’s vegan which a story for another day 🙂 Seems the earthy mushroom goodness just can’t be found in even an iconic can!
Vegan Roasted Mushroom Soup with Roasted Mushroom Vegetable Broth
2 Tbs olive oil
½ cup vegan friendly Sauvignon Blanc or other dry white wine (if not vegan, any white wine can be used)
1 cup diced leeks
1 cup diced yellow onions
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ lbs cultivated mushrooms (8 oz each white button, crimini or baby bella, and shiitake mushrooms), cleaned and roughly chopped. Remove mushroom stems to use in Roasted Vegan Mushroom Broth – see recipe below
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp lemon zest
4 large sprigs fresh thyme and 3” piece of fresh rosemary tied together with cooking twine
1 small dried bay leaf
2 Tbs uncooked basmati rice
10 cups Roasted Mushroom Vegetarian Broth (recipe below)
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs chopped parsley leaves
Optional Garnish: 8 oz thinly slices mushrooms, fried
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On sheet pan, mix olive oil, Sauvignon Blanc, leeks, onions, garlic, mushrooms, and salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Roast 40 minutes.
- In large pot add roasted mushrooms and vegetables, lemon zest, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, basmati rice and Roasted Mushroom Vegetable Broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low for 60 minutes.
- Take soup off heat. Remove and discard thyme, rosemary and bay leaf. Add lemon juice and parsley. Cool to room temperature.
- Puree soup in batches in blender until smooth and silky. Add more water if needed for desired consistency. You should have about 6 cups soup once pureed.
- Gently reheat and garnish if desired before serving.
Roasted Mushroom Vegetable Broth
makes 10 cups
3 Tbs olive oil
mushroom stems taken from 1 ½ lbs mushrooms (= about 5 oz) plus ½ lb chopped assorted cultivated mushrooms, roughly 8 cups in all.
½ cup chopped carrot
1 cup chopped leek
½ cup chopped celery stalks (with leaves)
2 Tbs diced shallot
5 smashed garlic cloves
½ tsp sea salt
6” strip lemon peel
3 sprigs thyme
4” sprig rosemary
2 sprigs parsley
½ tsp whole black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
10 cups water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- On roasting pan mix mushroom stems, mushrooms, carrots, leeks, celery, shallot, garlic, sea salt, lemon peel, thyme, and rosemary. Roast for 30 minutes.
- In large saucepan add roasted mushroom and vegetables, parsley, black peppercorns, bay leaf and 10 cups water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes. Strain and use as base for Vegan Roasted Mushroom Soup, adding water if necessary to equal 10 cups.